In this article we discuss creating and editing users in more depth. Users can include athletes and coaches, anyone that will generate data via lifting or anyone that needs to view or edit data on the web app.
Skip ahead to:
We give you the option to assign a role to each user within your organization when they are created. The key differences between these roles are their "permissions." The available roles are:
Athletes: Any athlete within your organization. When creating athletes, you will have the option to provide an email address. If you provide an email address, athletes can use this email to log into their account. Because of their role as "athlete," they will only be able to see their own data.
Coach: A coach has permission to see all information within an organization, but does not have edit access. A coach can also generate data (i.e. lift).
Admin: An admin has permission to see all information and edit / create new users. An admin can also generate data (i.e lift).
When new users are created within the organization, they will be assigned a role of "athlete" by default. The only exception is the user that creates the organization. They will be an "admin" by default.
Creating an Athlete
- Locate the "Views" drop down and make sure "User Management" is selected.
Within the "Users" section, tap the plus (+) button to create a new user.
Enter the athlete's individuals details (Name, Height, Weight, Email - if applicable, Gender) and assign them a role (Admin, Coach or Athlete)
Creating a Coach or Admin
The Coach / Admin user creation is same as creating a athlete with a few small differences:
- When creating the user, make sure to modify their role to "coach" or "admin" and enter their email address.
- When you save the user, you'll be asked if you'd like to notify them via email that you've created them an account. Click "Send" to send them an email with a link to log in.
- The coach should receive an email within a few minutes. When they click the link in the email they will be brought to the Perch website and directed to set a password.
- Once they set a password, they're good to go and can log in to view your organization.
Editing and Archiving Users
To Edit Users:
- Click the pencil icon next to each athlete, on the right side of the screen.
- You can now edit any attribute of the athlete.
Once athletes leave the team, you may want to remove them from the organization. This is where archiving users comes in handy. To archive one or more users:
- Select the checkbox associated with the user in question on the left hand side of the screen
- A trashcan will appear on the upper right hand side of the "users" section. Selecting this will give you the option to deactivate the user.
Adding profile pictures to an athletes profile is one of the last steps to creating users. These photos are visible on the web app as well as on the tablet app when an athlete signs in. To add photos:
- At the top right hand side of the "Users" section, you will see an "Edit Photos" button (picture icon). Tap this button.
- This will bring you to a new screen with all of your users. On this screen, select "Choose File" next to each athlete to upload a picture. Hit Save and Exit.
Saving an athlete's 1 RM in the Perch web app has several key benefits. Most notably, when you export data, you can see the weight the athlete lifted as a % of that athlete's 1 RM. This is helpful in building force velocity profiles and filtering the data in other ways (e.g. filtering out warm up sets, etc).
To edit a single athlete's 1 RM:
- Locate the "Views" drop down menu and select "1 RMs." This will adjust the view. The columns now, instead of being attributes of the user, are the various lifts.
- Click the pencil icon next to each athlete to edit their 1 RMs. You can type in the weight and select between lbs and kgs.
- Click the check mark to save the changes.
- You can filter what lifts you are viewing by clicking the "Show Columns" icon in the top right of the "Users" section.
Importing and Exporting 1 RMs for multiple athletes:
- In the “1 RMs” selection in the “Views” drop down menu, navigate to the “Export” button on the right hand side of the “Users” section. This will export a CSV file.
- Open this exported file on your computer to add or edit any 1 RMs for your existing users. Please note, the formatting must remain the same. Save the document.
- Back in the “1 RMs” selection in the Perch Web App, navigate to the “Import” button on the right hand side of the “Users” section. Select “Choose File” and find your recently edited file, click upload, and save. Your users 1 RMs should all update at once.