Teams and Groups allow organizations to divide up and organize users in a way that enhances work flow and data analysis for coaches and athletes.
Skip ahead to:
An organization on Perch's platform is hierarchically organized as follows:
- Groups (Not specific to a team)
- Teams (e.g. Football, Baseball, Volleyball, etc)
- Groups (specific to a team) (e.g. Lifting Groups, return to play, red shirt, etc)
- Positions (e.g. Wide Receiver, Quarter Back, etc ) - Note: Positions are only available within a team.
Athletes do not need to be assigned to groups or teams; however, we highly recommend that you organize your organization using this structure.
A team is the highest level of hierarchy within an organization on the Perch platform. Teams can be created and accessed from your organization page. We suggest using Teams to organize (you guessed it) your teams. Here are a couple ways in which these can be used:
- In a collegiate weight room setting: Baseball, Volleyball, Track and Field, etc
- In a major league soccer setting: A team for your pro club and a team for all of your youth academies.
It is important to note that you will only be given the option to assign positions to your athletes if you are within a team. It does not make much sense to give you the option to assign positions if you are looking at your baseball, volleyball and track and field athletes in one view.
Teams can be used in the following ways:
- Filter an export based on a specific team
- Set up a competition based on a specific team
- Filter your user management and 1 RM views for easier editing
Groups are conceptually similar to teams. They are just another way of grouping and organizing your athletes. You can create groups under your overall organization (not within a team). However, we recommend using groups within a team to get the most out of them. To get the creative juices flowing, here are a couple ways to organize your athletes using groups:
- Red shirt athletes
- Return to play athletes
- Lifting Groups
Once groups have been created, they can be used to:
- Filter an export based on a specific group
- Filter a leaderboard based on a specific group
- Create lifting groups to quickly log multiple athletes in at once on the tablet. You can learn more about this feature here.
Positions are on a similar level to groups. They can be seen within a team only and are the most common way to organize your athletes. Once positions have been created they can be used to:
- Configure an export. When you select a specific team, you will be given the additional option to filter by position. You can learn how to export data via export article here.
- Set up a competition using the leaderboard. When you can select a specific team, you will be given the additional option to filter even further by position. You can learn more about setting up competitions using our leaderboard here.
Creating a Team
Create a team
- Under your Organization tab in the web app, you will see two discrete sections. We discussed the lower section when discussing how to create users. The first grouping will allow you to edit and see all of the teams associated with your organization.
- To the right, tap the + button to create team.
- You will be prompted to name the team, hit save.
Add users to a team
- Click into the team that you just created.
- Within the "users" section you will see the standard icons with the addition of one icon that can be used to "Add existing users."
- Tap the + icon to create users directly in a team.
- Tap the "add exiting users" icon to select athletes that already exist within your organization and add them to a team.
Update an athlete's position
- After an athlete has been added to a team, click the pencil icon next to their name to edit them.
- Click the pencil icon in the "position" column to bring up a modal to create or choose existing positions.
- NOTE: positions are a dynamic pick-list. Meaning, the only positions that you can choose from are positions that exist in your organization. For instance, if no player currently has the position of "Point Guard" assigned to them, there will be no option to pick it until you create and assign that position to an athlete. As soon as you delete that position from the athlete, the "Point Guard" option will disappear and you will need to create it again.
Creating a Group
Creating a Group
- Locate the "View" drop down between the Team and Users section on your organization page.
- Select "Groups" under this drop down.
- Click the (+) icon to create a new group.
- Select the "add users" button to add users to a group.
- Note: groups work hierarchically. If you create a group under the "All" team, you can ad any members of your organization to a group. If you create a group within a team, The only users available must be part of the Team. We recommend adding users to a team before creating groups.
There may be instances in which you want to upgrade groups to a team:
- While viewing a group, click the "pencil" icon to edit the group.
- Change the "group" from a "group" to a "team"